Thread: boost question
View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
Steve,

I've had my car for over a year now (and about 5,000 miles of smiles). I feel like I am only just getting comfortable with the downshift into 1st. I had the tranny rebuilt, and even with brand new dogs and sliders, the 2nd into 1st downshift is not easy. I have read that a newly rebuilt box needs time to "break in," so it might be that its getting easier as the new parts wear-in. More likely, its that I am getting more comfortable in the car and honing my technique: preferably double clutch and mash the throttle to get the revs up and she slides into 1st while underway without much effort. I took her for a spanking around my neighborhood one day last fall after I finally fixed an annoying acceleration stumble, so I was really pumped. Without thinking, I nailed the 2nd to 1st downshift rounding a 90 degree urban corner and got into the gas (boost came right on) and the ass-end kicked out on me about 12 inches or so...didn't mean to do it, honestly officer
I don't seem to have much trouble getting into 1st from 2nd. Like when tooling through the neighborhood in 2nd gear, heading home to my driveway at a moderate 25 mph, I just let off the gas for some compression slow-down, stuff in the clutch and blip the throttle while at the same time pressing into 1st gear. Usually slides right in at 10mph or so. Be sure to blip the throttle to match the rpm's you'll be at by the time you get into 1st and let the clutch back out.
Mark H. 1987 930, GP White, Wevo shifter, Borla exhaust, stock everything else. The result of a massive Pelicanite good will fire recovery effort. Truely an open book, ready for the slippery slopes to modification.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)