View Single Post
Certified User

Garage
Oh ***** Just what I wanted to read on a Sunday morning!

Thanks for all your inputs.
A couple of responses ...

Glenn: I haven't noticed this problem before rebuild. The rebuild included a complete dismantling and cleaning of everything and I never found any sign of coke anywhere, so it has started up only recently. The only significant change in this area was the replacement of the old 3LDZ turbo with a newer model K27.
Checking the flow rate through the drain lines is now on my list of things to do.

Paul: I do avoid using power for a minute or two before shut-down and usually try and idle for a minute or so as well. I guess I need to be more vigilant on this.

Charles: Perth isn't in Europe . I also feel that the oil is a large part of the problem because I know I don't shut down when the turbo is seriously hot.

Fleiger: I wondered if anyone would pick up on the dime. I found it under the rear seat cushions. I originally bought the car from the states a couple of years ago.
I think the consensus here is that this stuff is from coking in the turbo. Believe me, there's no way it got in from outside.

Eric: I'll check valve covers for silt as you suggest (with my fingers well and truly crossed). I hear what you say about turbo cooling time. Fushing 55 gallons! Still, I guess 55 gallons of oil is cheaper than another rebuild. I presume the concept of peak oil hasn't reached your shores yet.

Dave: I have standard headers and standard turbo sump tank, although it is without the screen filter. I recall reading a thread last year about these tanks and their gauze filter. Apparently some have them and some don't - I don't unfortunately.
The in-line filter sounds like good insurance. I will definitely look into this.

Regards,
Bill
Memories: '68 912, '72 911T, '80 911SC, '84 911, '85 930, '86 930, '87 911
Old 02-21-2009, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)