View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamohum View Post

Whats your opinion on the WG pipe length and the length of the divider to insure no cross contamination of the segregated exhaust pulses when using a Twin scroll turbo?
Those pulses will hit same turbine sooner or later. But longer wastegate pipe means bigger cavity to be filled, so some of pulse-mode energy that would be used to drive the turbine would be damped in that cavity. At high revs/high boost I don't think it matters so much.

With other words, I believe potential gains of twin-scroll are to be seen lower down. Probably as slightly quicker spoolup/lower boost treshold. I don't think it will influence the upper portion of power band a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamohum View Post

Its hard to see the weld from the photo, trust me when I say it is poor quality, there is even a small crack in one of the corners.

The ports are not the same size, not square and I suspect will not line up with the turbo housing properly. I can correct all this by building up with weld and grinding it to a proper finished size to match the turbo housing. Lots of work but it will be corrected.

Re the home TBC coatings, I'm using the same process that the big name companies are doing. I know that there are many that are Skeptical about these products and will stay clear of them, until they are well proven.

I realize the risk, but I'm willing to test it out and find out for myself first hand.
I will set up a few test pieces first, coat them, heat them till they fail and report my findings back here when I'm done. I will also take a test piece and hammer it to simulate a dent to the header tubing and check for cracking and bonding issues. If at that point I still have doubts then I will not coat the id of my header. Nothing ventured nothing gained, I will not risk a new turbo without testing to satisfaction.

Thanks for your concern
It's worth a try, but if you have expensive turbocharger it might be a good idea to do some testing first. You can also wrap the headers with insulating blankets (but it usually erodes them quicker).

Judging from pictures headers look OK, especially considering the price. I'm looking forward to read the results.

Best regards,
Goran
Old 02-22-2009, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)