View Single Post
Happiest when Tinkering

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmeister View Post
Simple answer from one of the experts.....
Stiffness and force are 2 separate issues. When you increase the wastegate blow off or opening pressure you are increasing the force acting on the wastegate diaphragm via the spring inside the housing. How you get there is the question. You can get the same force from 2 different springs of different stiffness by compressing them different amounts via Hookes Law.
You need to look at all the dimensions of the spring not just its uncompressed length to determine the end result of the force it exerts when compressed in the housing. This cannot be explained easily without looking at the equations and having an understanding of what is going on in the wastegate design.
My original response early on was not meant to insult or hurt feelings but was said in order to prevent the author of this post from doing lots of expensive damage...if I did not care to help I would not have said anything at all.
And I appreciate all the help offered I apologize if I ruffled any feathers I thought nobody was taking me serious with this project. I am bolting on the turbo as we speak and will start this thing up this summer. All of the advise given resulted in me getting a tial wastegate. To answer another question I think that a tial spring could not work properly in a stock wastegate because it would not seat properly ie a smaller spring.
76 911 C.R.A.P. Gruppe #2 BIG time TURBO C.R.A.P. Bitz EFI/EDIS Now MegaSquirt 3
76 Blazer also restored by me
Old 02-23-2009, 02:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)