View Single Post
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjam View Post

Today when I went out shopping for this filter at lunchtime, the temperature in Perth was 33*C (92*F). I left the car idling several times while I was in shops and each time when I came back (yes, it was still there!), the temp gauge had risen from mid-range (needle horizontal) to half way between horizontal and the upper red section. This sort of de-bunks the idle-down theory (which I donít necessarily disagree with) but when the car is idling, it gets hotter, not cooler!
Well, If you think beyond the obvious, the cooldown theory is confirmed. By default the turbo is hotter than the oil, in fact if it is in the 400F range you will experience coking no matter what the oil choice. The fact that the temp guage rose is twofold, 1#-your cooling fan is rotating slowly, 2#-the oil is in fact doing its job, cooling the motor, turbo and removing the built up heat to outside the motor and turbo. Oil cooling is more than 40% of your total cooling. Don"t be confused, its not logical until you think about it.
Hola
eric
Old 02-23-2009, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)