View Single Post
Forced Induction Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billjam View Post
.................................................. ..................
Today when I went out shopping for this filter at lunchtime, the temperature in Perth was 33*C (92*F). I left the car idling several times while I was in shops and each time when I came back (yes, it was still there!), the temp gauge had risen from mid-range (needle horizontal) to half way between horizontal and the upper red section. This sort of de-bunks the idle-down theory (which I donít necessarily disagree with) but when the car is idling, it gets hotter, not cooler!
Idling for extended periods is should be avoided. I've seen my oil temps go up like you've seen with outside temps like you described. Driving a few kms above 50kms/hr brings the temps back down to normal. The problem is there's insufficient amounts of air moving around the external oil cooler(s) to dissipate the heat from them. The fan and internal oil cooler can not perform adequately under these conditions. I would not worry about turbo cool down procedures unless you have been driving under boost conditions. One minute idling is sufficient for a cool down.

Here is a temp gauge exposed with C degree markers.

Keep in mind when the temp gauge is in the 120* C (248*F) range, the oil is overheating and is probably breaking down and has shortened its life and effectiveness. In real life, the oil temps should not go above the middle unnumbered marked (105*C/221*F). Above that you're looking at oil breaking down, shortened change cycle, tarring and worse......coking on extreme temperature parts.
Werk I Zuffenhausen 3.3l/330BHP Engine with Sonderwunsch Cams, FabSpeed Headers, Kokeln IC, Twin Plugged Electromotive Crankfire, Tial Wastegate(0.8 Bar), K27 Hybrid Turbo, Ruf Twin-tip Muffler, Fikse FM-5's 8&10x17, 8:41 R&P
Old 02-23-2009, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)