View Single Post

Fred,

I am not an expert but those are some big bars.

I like big springs with smaller sways over the other way.

I want the springs to do as much work as possible and mostly use the sways to tune the front to rear balance. I suspect large sways complicate setting the shocks up as they have to deal with a big spring rate changes from crossing RxR tracks to putting one wheel in a hole. (Soft with stops, hard with a corner.) I would guess, huge sways are an attempt to overcome the limit in spring rates with using torsion bars.

Additionally, with large sways, a pot hole transfers a lot to the other side's suspension upsetting both sides.

As to the front requiring a larger sway. It may be much more simpler than I had said. The attachment point of the sway bar link is about 6" from the hinge up front. The rear is about 10" from the hinge. Both ft & rr are about 18" from the hinge to the wheel center on a normal wheel base car. The turbo has about a 20" front arm compared to a 18" rear on a turbo. Thus, it takes a bigger sway to make for the same spring rate at the wheel on the front.

I am still learning so all this is subject to verification.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)