View Single Post

Here you go, James.

I added an oil return line for the oil cooling. My turbos are located just above the valve covers so that I can take advantage of a gravity return. Works fine. I've since gone to a completely separate coolant-based cooling system, but still use oil to lube.

I'm fortunate to have a great, local guy, John at 666 Fabrication here in Milford, CT. He's very experienced with headers, turbos, and his TIG work is artistry. I brought him the car and muffler, and he made up the ss exhaust and WG piping. Totally unpretentious guy, who is serious about his craft.

The sound is much quieter than Todd's ss x-flow design muffler (like zero baffles) but not too quiet. I don't have anything against which to compare, except the prior muffler. I do still have one of Todd's ss mufflers.

When I changed the turbos from super 60's to these GT3071r's I also changed the muffler. I learned a lot about indexing turbos, and aligning the oil ports. I can't speak to any perf gain just from the muffler alone.

Yes, I've dyno'd it.

I've also since removed (and will be selling) the entire Protomotive system, wiring harness, pressure sensor-modified Motronic EFI, sensors, fuel injection.

I replaced it with a Haltech E11v2, wiring harness, different sensors, Marren fuel rails, larger injectors, AN fuel lines, FPR, etc. I've got it dialed only for a bar now and am awaiting larger WG springs. It never ends. Kris (930GT-40R) helped a LOT with the swap, and especially the wiring.

The Proto stuff always worked flawlessly, cannot complain there, but I tend to change things frequently and wanted to be able to self-tune with greater ease. I do all my own work, so this just fit better.

I think the x-flow is an ok solution. I forget the cfm # but it's not bad. Next time, I'll go with less restrictive dual bullet style mufflers, and see how that helps the HP and TQ. For the $ it's an excellent choice though!

Hope that helps.

How is your kit coming along? Do you have a good local fabricator you trust, or is that you?

G
Old 02-24-2009, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)