View Single Post

Oh yeah, some build specs -

I really ought to write this whole thing down somewhere....

3.3 case, shuffle pinned
stock Mahle 3.3 pistons and cylinders, then flame ringed
twin plugged 3.3 heads, ported to 3.2 spec (intake port to 41mm, exh to 3.2 size), welded/expanded intake port to match up to intake, all new manganese bronze guides, new valves, aluminum flame rings, cylinders machined flat
EBS race valve springs
titanium retainers
GT2 EVO cams
3.2 intake manifold
crank was balanced, nitrided, micropolished, magnafluxed, extra oil ports added, and taken down to 2" rod journals
Pauter rods custom fit for 2" journals
Heavy duty NASCAR bearings, center one drilled for extra oil outlets
twin MSD's, 3.6 dual distributor
Magnecor wires (12)
72lb Siemens injectors/Marren rails
Protomotive full bay I/C; DP tail to allow for larger I'C, silicone hoses everywhere
2nd oil filter replaces on-engine Behr oil cooler
3 oil coolers; 2 fender Carrera, 1 center wide Setrab
Completely separate twin turbo coolant-based cooling system (conceived by Kris, gotta give him props); Tilton pump, Canton 2Q tank in front with pressure cap, and under-car Canton radiator for cooling). Keeps the heat out of the oil system, and minimizes coking.
Dual, Garrett GT3071r's, with the above custom stainless exhaust and Protomotive equal length headers
KEP Stage 1 clutch
G50/50, regeared with closer ratios, steel synchros, hydraulic clutch
Hargett G50 shifter

I'll skip the suspension, brakes, fire system, seats, and stereo for now

The pain wasn't that I lunched the engine/spun a bearing at VIR in Nov 2007. I was sick to my stomach, but thought it was a straight rebuild. The bear was that during the rebuild, I destroyed and discovered:

- the crank was scored deep
- a Pauter rod was toast
- found 2 cracked 3.2 heads (previously ran 3.2 heads, twin plugged, flame ringed, etc)

Instead of sourcing 2 more 3.2 heads, I opted for the more durable 3.3 heads because I track it. Of course this meant I "had to" get the 3.3's up to breathe as well as the 3.2's. The spun bearing ate into the crank, so I chose to use the 2" bearings as they supposedly last longer than stock. I rebuilt it last winter and I'm way overdue in posting any pics.

Not long before that I'd upgraded the turbos you see here.

It never ends, and I love it!

Oh, and I'm not sure about the 2" being quieter. Maybe ask RarlyL8 or mb911. Excuse me, Brian or Ben.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)