View Single Post
Acceleration Junkie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbph10 View Post
I've been searching and can't find an simple answer to my question so here goes.
91 Turbo, 44,000 miles, completely stock.

What are my options for wastegates, how much are they, where do I buy one, and is there a downside to upping the boost slightly besides working the engine a little harder?

Thanks
Brian
Unless you're wastegate is misbehaving, you don't need a new or different one. If you want more boost, add a "dial-a-boost" or some such increase boost level control device. These devices work by adding pressure the the reference port on the WG. The higher the pressure on the port, the higher the boost level supplied to the intake before the gate starts to waste.
IMO, downside besides working engine a little (or a lot) harder by increasing boost is increase chance of detonation and serious engine damage or destruction. Unless you have an accurate handle and control of Air-Fuel-Ratio (AFR) and timing (more boost, less timing) your asking for trouble.
Going from 0.8 bar to 1.0 bar might buy you 15-20 HP. Is the risk worth the reward?
Sure, the factory boost level is conservative. That's why you've gotten to 44,000 miles and the engine is probably still running well. Add a little boost, lose a little engine life.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)