View Single Post

Garage
I did some testing today, here are my results.

Disclaimer, this testing was done to satisfy my own product knowledge and in no way represents a scientific critic of this product. The opinions are that of my own I am not affiliated to this company in any way and have nothing to gain. I am sharing my results so that others here can learn of my personal experiences.

Thermal Barrier Coating Destruction Test # 1

A small piece of SS tubing was used as a test piece simulating a section of header pipe.
It was prepared by abrading with a # 80 flapper wheel touched up by hand with # 80 emery cloth.
The instructions recommended a film thickness from .0008”to .0015”
Using an Air Brush a coating of .001 was applied and confirmed by measuring after curing.
A section of the coated tubing was directly heated with the flame of a propane torch until the coating failed. The temperature was in excess of my measuring device when the coating started to blister up. The SS tubing was a bright red almost yellow from the heat of the flame when the coating failed. The blistering occurred rapidly but was contained to the area that was overheated, the area immediately adjacent showed no damage.
The blistered damaged area flaked off in very small particles (see photo) when scrapped with a fingernail, the adjacent undamaged area was intact and I don’t suspect any damage to the bond. In other words the damage seems very confined and contained only to the over overheated section. Unfortunately with out the proper measuring device this test was not able record the temperature that this product failed at.

Dip Coating: I noticed air entrapment on the edge of the spoon that was used to transfer the liquid product from the can to the air brush cup, which did not flow out and left a hardened slightly bubbled area. The spoon was not abraded prier, but because it was dip coated in the process of transferring material, I decided to post cure it and also use it in testing. The dipped coating on the spoon produced a glossy slick surface. However the cured coated surface could be marked with a sharp tool and scrapped off with sufficient force.
With some effort it can also be abraded off with 3m red Scotch Bright.
I used a heat gun to heat the underside of the spoon while measuring the topside. Again not very scientific, but I noticed approximately 200 deg/f difference between the gun temp and the top side of the spoon (remember the spoon was dipped and coated on both sides) I would appear from my crude testing that the product does contain and reduce heat transfer.

In the photo above you can see the results of the destruction testing and the damage from overheating the coated surface
In the photo below You can see the small particles that flaked off below on the white paper. As you can see the tubing is very thin walled and was easy to heat to almost melting through it.

here is the spoon that dipped and ended up being included in the testing
Old 02-24-2009, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)