View Single Post

Garage
Part 2 of today's testing
TBC Dent Test.
After the first test an undamaged area of the tubing was selected and hit with a ball peen hammer to simulate a ding to the exhaust header pipe.
The hit deformed the test pipe and left a crater of approximately diameter and deep. The coated area of the dent seemed unaffected, there were no signs of cracking, blistering or peeling and the material bond was as good as other undamaged areas.

Though these test were fairly crude, I was able to determine the flow characteristics when sprayed and brushed. I was also able to determine the rate of application to achieve the proper film thickness.

Conclusion: The material sprays on well and produces a slick tough glossy finish. It also brushes on and flows well, but flashes off fairly fast which will make it difficult to do larger sections of the recommended film thickness and get the desired smooth slick finish.
I suspect that the product bond will not be affected by minor damage such as sustaining a dent. With its ability to stretch and conform to the dent, I suspect that it will also with stand expansion and contraction of heat cycles well.
Its pretty amazing when you consider a coating thickness of only .001 effectively reduces the transfer of heat. I was skeptical of a .001 coating actually doing much but seeing is believing and it was nice to see this first hand.
This coating might help reduce heat cycle cracking. Unfortunately I could not yet determine the maximum safe working temp of this product and as such I am not yet convinced of its ability to withstand turbo exhaust. Further testing is needed with proper measuring equipment before I will be comfortable using it on the inside of a Turbo header. It could however be used externally with thermal benefits to contain the heat energy to the Turbo. However I suspect that this might exacerbate thermal cracking of the header tubing.

In my personal option, this produce would be of benefit in a NA header, providing a slick surface, reducing external heat transfer, lessen potential cracking, reducing heat discoloration on SS or Chrome headers and you would also benefit from its corrosion resistance properties.
Another suggested use from the manufacture is to use this product externally on calipers to reduce heat transfer.

This photo shows the coating on the inside of the dent that still seems ok

This one shows that you can abrade the coating off
Old 02-24-2009, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)