View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerSix View Post
....... it's a dead nuts additions to any car running a GT turbo full bore with alot of heat going around. Big props for pulling it off .....

Quite a nice build.
Thanks Adam! It adds minimal weight, a bit more complexity, but doesn't put any drain on the oil pump or add heat. I hated the thought of introducing, gasp.....coolant, into an air cooled beast, but it's what the GT-series were designed for. A little sound insulation around the pump and I should be set.

When I spun a bearing, I was pretty sure it was from contamination (deciphered from which bearings were toast first). I had the oil tank out for minor fab work and didn't clean it enough. Others suggested the pump had run dry or the oil lost viscosity. Never wanting this to happen again, I did several things differently; the coolant system for cooling turbos, the 2nd oil filter, the 2" brgs, and had the center one drilled for extra oil (thank to Bill Rudtner).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerSix View Post
How is the response with the twin 30R's? Care to disclose boost onset and threshold details I've been in a 996TT with a pair of 3071R's under the boot and that ramped up very nice but that's 3.6L and four valve heads so flow is a little different than our aircooled two valve predecessors.

Love it, absolutely love what you got there!
Thanks. I honestly don't know the onset rpm of boost. It will gladly keep pulling over 7 but I'm not making more HP over ~6600 so why stress the engine with high rpm shifts?
The 30R's are definitely better than the super 60's in spool up, and overall power. BUT, the biggest help was the re-gearing. Should have done that years ago! Much quicker onset.

The 996 with the 3.6 and 30r's must have been sweet! More volume to increase spool and overall HP. 3.6 will be the next one I build, hopefully MUCH later.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)