View Single Post

The turbo scavenge oil return line does not go to the oil filter on an '87, it drains into the tank unfitered.
I checked that out with air pressure on mine around a year ago.

If it was going to the oil filter than when I put 120psi of air into the turbo oil return line fitting on the tank, air would have come out of the mulitple outer ring of holes where the oil filter screws on. Thats where oil goes into the filter.
Instead, air came from everywhere else but those holes which proves that oil from the turbo does not go through the oil filter screwed onto the tank.

When I had my oil tank out to clean and paint it, I looked inside as best I could and the only thing that surprised me is there is a large course screen like material in there towards the top half of the tank. I can only guess why it's there and my guess is to act as a partial baffle to try and keep the oil from sloshing around as much when driving hard and or to seperate out any bubbles in the oil.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)