View Single Post

The turbo scavenge pump is a small close tolerance dual gear type pump that having taken it apart and looked at it I believe it could make some oil pressure if it had to.
Thing is there is no orifice or bearing clearance it's pushing oil through. Instead it is pushing a low volume of very hot oil that is full of little bubbles through a piece of hose and tubing around 9mm inside diameter back to a tank.

The only restriction it would have to push against and maybe build some oil pressure would be the inline oil filter some of us have installed.
If you follow the owners manual directions to let the car idle a couple minutes after driving hard to cool off the turbo, and use good oil and change it often enough than there shouldn't be coking and alot of carbonized oil chunks flaking off the inside of the turbo and contaminating the oil... hopefully.

I installed the sysem one 75 micron filter in my turbo oil return line about 4 months ago when I installed a freshly rebuilt K27 HFS turbo and havn't opened it up to inspect and clean it yet.
I'll wait a couple thousand miles, then open it when I do an oil change.
Being under the engine tin where I located it, it will not make any mess from spilled oil when opening it with an oil change bucket on the ground under it.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)