View Single Post
Smart quod bastardus

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-man930 View Post
I'm going to attach a picture of the 914 caliper plugs (used as SAI plugs on 911 /930 cars) and the stainless version sold and branded as Weltmeister. I tried the 914 caliper plugs initially and was not happy with the hardness of the steel. They are mild steel plated with blue zinc. I decided against these after testing them out and ordered the stainless hex plugs instead. I'm much happier installing these into a 930 due to the harsh heat / exhaust contaminents they will see... Also, nothing against the way billjam did it but the plugs are not safteywired properly... The anchor point of the wire needs to be opposite the direction you turn the bolt or nut to unscrew it. This is a perfect example of using the right chemical for the job. Much like the right tool, the right chemical compound makes the job 100 times easier. Applying Resbond 907 Red Thread Locking agent / pipe sealer on the plugs will prevent them from coming out on their own.

Please click on the pic for full resolutuion.

hope this helps those looking to make a decision on which plugs to buy.
Where did you purchase the Resbond stuff. I am the original poster of the "dam injector plug" thread menstioned and this has been a recurring problem for me as well. I do track the car and it mostly happens at DE days. I looked into high temp loctites and there is no vendor that will sell it retail. Grainger and Loctite only sell wholesale and you aint gonna find this stuff at Autozone.
Safety wire is best but damn it is tuff to do with the engine in the car....plis drilling thru those small plugs aint easy either.
Thanks for any input.
1979 930 Turbo....3.4L, 7.5to1 comp, SC cams, B&B intercooler, Snow Perf water/meth injection, Rarlyl8 headers, Garret GTX turbo, 36mm ported intakes, Innovate Auxbox/LM-1, custom Manually Adjustable wastegate housing (0.8-1.1bar),--running 0.7bar max
---"When you're racing it's life! Anything else either before or after, is just waiting"
Old 02-27-2009, 06:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)