View Single Post

Is the car stock or modded? Did it have a top end job? Who was the mechanic/rebuilder?

I bought my 86 after a mechanic friend took a quick look at it. No real need to do a thorough check as the price was really low for what was done to the car. The motor was rebuilt by a local mechanic @ 2500 miles prior to my purchase.

Well, I had an issue with a leak and that necessitated pulling the motor. Once that was done, you could see all the half-assed work the mechanic did on this motor. The oil line to the turbo was not factory. Instead it was the factory hardline cut off with some fuel line attached with hose clamps! The heater ducting was still there, but it was the paper element which can catch on fire. The motor was apart and the guy used collapsible return tubes instead of the solid ones... THEN, you could see the heads were loose! Cyl 3 and 6 had leakdown of 40% and 20%, then it dropped down to @ 10% after tightening and cleaning. Not good enough so the motor is apart right now.

Just a note to check on the mechanic that is working on the car. My mechanic is probably the top guy here and has worked as a mechanic for a GT Cup car. The other guy that built the motor is supposed to be a pretty good mechanic, but not the best.
14 535i M Sport
Old 03-01-2009, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)