View Single Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonHanstein View Post
Thanks Mark.

It's made my day that at least one person can understand my bemusement at the state of things.
I've owned mine for nearly three years now and haven't driven it once yet. I absolutely love it.
I paid the asking price with no history, the engine out and the gearbox in pieces. A fatal mistake if you listen to anyone fixated with re-sale values. For me it was my heart and gut telling me yes. The chap I bought it off knew who won Le Mans in '71 which was all the history I needed. I knew it was the one instantly. History means very little today, a bit like the M.O.T. test. Know the right people and it'll pass. With something this old you just stand back, decide if you really want one and get ready for the ride. Life's too short to worry about whether the sun roof opens or if the oil was changed in 1981.

I've had some memorable times in an MGB too, just never bought the poster.
Enjoy your car and don't let it go. Mine is staying with me for good.

Thanks.

Robert.
Man, you hit it right on! I see so many picking these cars apart that it seems they themselves are killing the value. They ride on the rhythm that one must have all correct and rightous knowledge in the world about the car before it is purchased, "get a PPI", they yelp. All these distressing warnings. Do this, do that, get the history, all these things and more can pit these cars into the grave of discouragement for many. I mean, I know that all here mean well but it can and will be looked at with different interpretations. For example, I bought my 930 site-unseen, wired the money and then went up to another state to pick it up. It was only after I got my car back and settled in that I started reading some of the stuff on this forum. Hell, I probably would not have purchased the car let alone driven it back from another state - really, some of the post here are down right scary for new owners. But the car did not let me down, the car drove nicely, handled well and I knew all along that I was, like you, ready to start the venture into the dark side. I think you are very correct in saying that value or worth must start HERE, in this forum, for it is HERE that can make a big difference in the final outcome of what this thread is all about, the legendary 930.

As far as the mechanical condition or challenges of the 930, as it pertains to the actual value or worth of the 930 and for which most here judge it, how about this to stir your soup: a shell of a car in a field used for target practice with buck shot in the fenders, a pure rust bucket without an engine, completely stripped sells for, duh, $226,521.00 US
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/10/ebay-find-of-the-day-1963-lemans-tempest-sells-for-226-521/?icid=200100397x1213497635x1200798037

Old 03-02-2009, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)