View Single Post
Champagne on Beer Budget

Garage
Guys, Thanks for the posts. As noted above by several people...there might be other issues with this motor.

Story behind the car/motor is it came up on CL a few months ago for a $ which i figured i'd jump on with the possibilities of having to do some work. The car sat for a couple of years when I initially viewed it and it ran like crap...3 cylinders missing and blowing oil by the rings.. I have since put a couple of hundred miles on the car and the rings seem to have seated much more so than original...compression numbers are between 105 and 125 for all 6 cylinders (only one was at 105). Whilest tweaking on the valves, I also noted some pitting on one of the cam lobes, so there may be a rebuild in my not too distant future.

The oiling issue might also be due to my ignorance with oil fill levels....Like i added about a quart too much a few weeks back and puked oil all over everything. The oil blowby from the vent pipe has been a persistant issue which I wanted to eliminate, but as mentioned..there may be more serious issue.

I imagine the true test of blowby from the cylinders would be a Leak down test versus the compression test....but then again turbo motors are new to me... I'm much more comfortable with a holley 4 barrel and 8 cylinders.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

Chow

www.einarsgarage.com
Instagram @einars_garage
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Einars-Garage/375533809160797
Old 03-04-2009, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)