View Single Post

I am not an expert but I suspect merging out to two 3" tubes adds significantly to capacity so long as other issues are not created like a poor Y design. With two 3" pipes over one, there will be room for other less than ideal conditions with said tail pipes depending on how they are carried out.

I suspect going througt a muffer and making a 180 deg turn, then adding 4 foot of unnecessary pipe may help noise but will not be a pest practices system for making power.

I am not sure that a "best exhaust is none" on a turbo as suggested is correct.

Per the article:

"the most optimal configuration would be a gradual increase in diameter from the turbine's exducer to the desired exhaust diameter-- via a straight conical diffuser of 7-12 included angle (to minimize flow separation and skin friction losses) mounted right at the turbine discharge"

I suspect a short tube like this that allows the hot gasses to exit in an orderly manner might be in improvement over none. Kind of like saying the best air performance air filter is none. An unfilitered Velocity Stack on the intake side will yeald better performance.

I wonder if we did this but quickly dumped it into a large chamber (muffler body), and then stuck two 3" tail pipes on that chamber, how well that would compair. We often hear a chambered muffler is not as efficient as a straightt through. However, this might be a bit different so long as there is not any baffling. If done right the can would be somwhat a substitute for the open atmospher.

Never know until theory meets the dyno.

Other than having at least a correctly sized tube I do not know if we are talking small differences of 1-3hp or somthing larger.

I can speak from experience that an expensive aftermarket SS muffler that came with a shorty header system as made by the top builder years ago had an internal 2.5" restriction in it when I cut it open. All I can think was to better control noise. Going to a custom straight through Borla muffler with simple tail pipe instantly gave me another 35hp on the dyno. That is huge.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)