View Single Post
Driver

Garage
CV Joint Question

Had the car up on a rack for an alignment a couple weeks ago. All 4 CV boots are torn. I don't recall seeing any of that a couple thousand miles ago when I last changed the oil. But I haven't had the actual car up in the air and anyone underneath it poking around for awhile.

The car, itself, drives fine (no groaning/creaking/harshness) from my seat of the pants. Though I do hear a single metallic click coming from the rear end when leaving a stop.

Anyway, I'm thinking of DIYing this, with the help of a local fellow Pelican. I'll at least need to replace the boots and re-grease the CV joints. My question: are the basic axle/CV joint layouts fairly similar from early ('84) Carreras and my later ('87) Turbo? Said fellow Pelican has redone his own CVs in the past. He's got an '84. I've never touched this part of the car, before. I noticed that parts are different from '84 and earlier cars, compared to '85 and later cars. Is the difference just in the size of the CV joint (100 vs 108 mm outer diameter)? The basic layout of the CV/axle/CV relationship is still the same, correct?

And how will I know if I need to replace the CV joints? Do I just eyeball this part for obvious wear and tear?

I'd like to have parts on hand before tearing into the project. Nothing like running into a problem and not having the proper parts (and having to go order them) to kill your momentum and initiative. The boots are cheap enough ($12 each), but the CV joints are about $90 apiece, and a whole axle $350.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)