Thread: Porsche bubble?
View Single Post

Garage
Though I certainly didn't buy my '83 Targa as an investment, I do like the believe that it's value will only go up. As mentioned in previous posts, right now it's the early cars that are starting to rise. Eventually the SCs will also. Back "in the day" Porsche didn't make very many cars and they were hand made. Because of the boom in our economy over the last several years, Porsche, as did other high end car manufactures did, made more cars.
From what I have read Porsche only imported 1,430 '83 911 Targas to the U.S. A total of a little over 11,000 over the course of 5 models years. I am not saying my car is a rare collectible, but ...... Where as the newer 911s were made in much larger numbers, far more complexity, quite a few cost cutting measures etc.

Now this applies to all makes of cars. As the complexity of the cars increases, when those cars get to the "age" of being a collectible, I don't think they will be desired. Who here will have a computer/engine analizer in their garage to work on their "classic" 2006 911, Boxter, etc? The whole collector car market is going to change dramatically in the coming years. People's live are more and more complex and hectic. So the desire to have a collectible car that is bare bones, simple straight forward, etc, will only increase. Which will be reflected in the values of 911s that are not ladened with computer controls, variable suspensions, etc. I know that at least for me, that is one of the key things I love about my 911. It is purpose built, straight forward, no complexity. Computer aides and the alike, I truely believe disconnects you from the driving experience. Don't get me wrong there are huge increases in performance because of these aides, but at the same time....
1992 MB 190E 2.6
2004 Volvo V70 2.5 Turbo (1 of a bazillion imported)
Old 03-14-2009, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)