View Single Post

Hi Steve,

I live in the Southeast, more specifically Atlanta, GA. ( >>> GO BRAVES <<<< ) sorry.
I use synthetic 5w-50 grade in my 73 2.0. I change my oil between 5000 and 7500 miles along with the filter.
I think changing the oil every 3000 miles when using synthetic is a little excessive. Your driving style is certainly not aggressive. I drive my 914 daily, hard, and autocross it on the weekends.
After I rebuilt my engine 1 1/2 years ago, I started with conventional 10w-30 oil. I ran that grade/type for the first 5000 miles for the break in period (changing first at 500, then every 1000 miles). During this time (hot 98+ summers) I would experience low oil pressure at idle after a highway run (such as the afternoon commute home). After 5000 miles I changed to synthetic 5w-50. The conventional 10w-30 was getting too thin and losing its viscosity in the heat. The synthetic oils are much more "durable" against viscosity breakdown and heat. I no longer have the low oil pressure problem, even on the hottest of days.
You might consider replacing the oil pump if you are going to have the engine down this winter. The low oil press at high speed is quite concerning to me.
I would NOT suggest that you change you oil more often. I think you are throwing away oil that still is good for another 3000 miles. I am sure that many, though, will dissagree. For the NY area, the 0w-30 sounds like a good choice for the cool/cold seasons.
These are my opinions and experiences on the subject. Your milage may vary.

[This message has been edited by wjdunn3 (edited 10-19-1999).]
Old 10-19-1999, 04:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)