View Single Post

Well, for what I know, and I will dare to say it... If you maintain proper engine temperature, change the oil when it needs it, and supply gas, you should be able to idle an engine forever. There are 3 reasons I can think of that idleing an engine is bad.
1) If it is air cooled, then there is a chance that you will not be able to maintain proper engine temp and over heat.
2) Since it takes longer for the engine to heat up, you expose yourself to longer amounts of condensation in the engine. Also since there is not as much warm air traveling through the exhaust, the air will cool quicker causeing condensation and corrosion of the exhaust system (This does not affect the engine)
3) Some older carbs will not automatically kick off the choke. This will cause the engine to get warm, then when warm the RPM will be well above idle, and create extra heat, causing a posible overheating.
So all and all, if your driving a modern day F.I., electric fan operated, water cooled car you should be able to idle forever.
Old 10-20-1999, 08:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)