View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

You have to be careful working on a 21-year old car with plastic connectors. If you aren't very careful, you can break them, and then you'll have to put a new one on. Lots of stuff on this car is unique and unavailable, so I try to be very careful when pulling on things.

Here's a big vacuum hose that was in the way. The little one above it has already been removed.

Ooops, dropped the hose clamp - don't want to forget that in there.

Okay, so the proper way to get this off is using a crowfoot wrench like this. Looks great, but there wasn't enough room for it to work properly.

Here's a view of what we're doing, showing the whole engine for perspective.

I've had great luck getting these out with vise-grips in the past. There is a danger that you can damage the sender, and dislodge the top part, leaving the bottom part spinning or stuck in the engine (which you can then get out with more vice-grips). Not the most elegant approach, but it does work, and it did work indeed in this case.

Success! And what do you know, the think makes more noise than one of my kids' baby rattles! Definitely broken, and ready to be replaced (tomorrow).

Here's what the hole looks like in the engine for the sender. Now that I think about it, I should put something over this just in case anything falls in there. Be right back!
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 04-02-2009, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)