View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Today's 959 Thrill - Photos of a 959 Prototype...

Another anonymous friend of mine forwarded me these photos of a car that was just imported from Japan. This is a prototype 959, and the VIN number is one more than Helmut Bott's prototype.

See the photos by clicking on the first link on this page: http://www.959registry.org

The car is definitely a prototype - titled with a 930 VIN like the rest of them. This one is very close to the production 959, there are only a few changes that I can see in the photos from my production one (mine's #37). Here's what I see in the photos, any additional thoughts or info would be appreciated:

- The car has the early "961" style wheels on it. Most of the photos in the books from when the car was originally produced have these wheels on it. They don't have center caps, and the spokes are much thinner. I actually think they look "cooler" than the standard 959 wheels, and I am currently looking for a set for my car.

- VIN number corresponds to a 930, 10067. Helmut Bott's car that I photographed at Rennsport III is SN 10066. The current caretaker of this car was very glad to see that when I showed him those photos the other day, as he's trying to help document this as a prototype. The Porsche factory in Stuttgart was of no help to him.

- The engine bay looks the same, except that the air intake tubes are a little flatter.

- The underside of the carpeting has some interesting notations. Mine has a bunch of handwritten stuff inside in various places too though...

- The caretaker of this car thought that the brakes were 930 brakes, but they look just like the ones I have on my 959. They look pretty much like standard 959 calipers...

- The previous owner put center caps on the thin-spoked wheels which look odd to me, but they do make the car look better. These caps were never used with these early 961-style wheels.

- The letter shown with the pics basically says this is a prototype car and comes with no guarantees, etc.

- Interior looks pretty stock. Horn pad is loose, but is there, however, the production cars say "Porsche 959" on the horn pad. I have also not seen cloth seats used on any of the production non-S cars either. I suppose you could have ordered anything you wanted at the time though.

- All the cars came from the factory with the standard Blaupunkt radio, but this car has a crude radio block-off plate. Looks out of place to me, but then again, this is a prototype.

- Gauges are all standard 959.

Any more thoughts?

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your MINI Cooper
Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)