View Single Post
Author of "101 Projects"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEpperson View Post
I wasn't so much thinking of it from an ownership perspective today, but more from the standpoint of why'd they build it? Did it make sense for Porsche, or would they have been better off not going down that road
It was a technology exercise and a lot of the technology that was used on the 959 was incorporated into later cars. Even more importantly, perhaps, was the fact that on the 959, some of the technology was too complicated and they *did not* incorporate it into the later cars. The one example that comes to mind is the 4WD system, which is unique to the 959. The system was so complicated that Porsche decided not to use it on any production cars, and instead opt for simpler systems. I think they found that the performance benefit did not warrant the vastly complicated system.

More on this system when I go to fix mine later on this year.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 04-12-2009, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)