View Single Post

Keith,

I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate the thread and your input. I talked with Rice and found him to be very CIS savey, Nice man and lots of experience. I have a couple of his articles around here some place I'l scan and post them later. Some good food for thought in them.
I can appreciate all the hard work that has gone into the many different devices made to elevate the CIS's capabilities. My thing is they all seem to be directed to more fuel and I am not convinced it's really not an issue in most applications. The average mods most of us have done to our cars might yield another 25-75 HP and that doesn't seem to me it would require more fuel than these fuel heads can provide as they are. I see the IA mod threads and they seem to cause more richness and drivability problems that they are worth. I want 11.9 - 121 afr's at 5600 on full boost but not at the cost of street ability and black smoke in the mid range. We even have people re shimming pressure regulators to lean them out. I think lowering system pressure is going to bite you in the a-- elsewhere.
Modifying the air metering unit is limited by the casting and not understanding the complexities of the inner contouring. Don't mind experimenting with the velocity cone and metering plate but hesitate go any deeper, machining etc.
My theory is KISS "keep it simple stupid" I use the MSD to get a good, clean, hot multiple spark and the boost retard to dial up more initial advance to get her launched and then back the timing down when boost comes on to stop detonation. Use a DWR to manipulate the afr curve and cut back the mid range richness and pour the fuel to her on the big end. Once the system has been tuned you can build multiple maps to load for any type driving you want to do.
KISS !!!

Cole
Mods: TurboKraft Custom IC, 934 Headers, GSX 61, Zork, Port Work, SC Cams, Air Mod Fuel Dist Relocated, Water Meth Injection, BL WUR, MSD 6530, Greddy EBC, Synapse Bov, Short 2nd & 3rd with 8:37 R&P, Wevo Shifter, Coupling, and Mounts, MTX-L SSI-4, Big Brakes, Rebel Coilovers, Bilstein Sports.

Last edited by cole930; 04-28-2009 at 06:32 PM..
Old 04-19-2009, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #182 (permalink)