View Single Post

I went to a lot of work taking the metering assimbly apart to blue print of my metering arm travel so the pin could travel as far as possible. Did not help one bit that I could verify.

Even with a dramatic lowering of Control Pressure using the Andial Fueler frequency valve I still believe the metering plate stalls. This was supported by Lee Rice of the Rice Fueler who told me that even w lower control pressure he could run up a 930 on a dyno and flood it by pushing down the metering plate w a long screw driver. I just believe the MP stalls due to the design of the cone it rides in.

As to the metering plate, it sure would not hurt to try. If the AFR's do not look right then it could be experimented.

I believe why the new plate has the increased clearance around it is that the added profile above the plate pushes down on the plate and the way the air is accelerated over it also helps move it. Thus, to slow the plate down at idle and off idle the diameter had to be reduced to dump some air at first.

A side thought, with the plate moving less at first, the metering pin can be readjusted. This will give more fuel up top when the arm moves to its furthest position. This can be tried w/o the plate by setting idle fat. Such adjustment translates to more fuel up top.

Another way to say it, if we set the head adjustment to full rich, then trimed the MP plate back to spill air so a proper CO could again be reached, we would get more fuel up top.

I can not wait to see how the new plate works. Wish we could do AFR's w the stock plate then the modified plate.

Good stuff.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #186 (permalink)