View Single Post
Corrupted by power

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Sorry about the 996/997 confusion. Yes 997 is the variable speed turbo I was refering to.
I'm sure it can be made to work with less complicated engine managment electronics.
Cool - was just looking at some Garrett VNT-25 installs on other marques. Very interesting, although they are finicky (can get sticky). You can use them without ECU management, but then your boost is 100% RPM dependent, so forget regulating boost to load. They are a neat turbo, though. The CSX Shelby did use ECU control. They are limited as manufactured to ~250 HP, but supposedly you can install a GT28 turbine in them, which apparently supports 400HP with minimal impact on spoolup...interesting option.

I'd bet that the 997 vane actuator (and the VNT-25, for that matter) is analogous to a stepper motor, which MegaSquirt can control. BTW, those 997 turbos are like hen's teeth - you pretty much have to buy them new, which is an EXPENSIVE proposition.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)