View Single Post

New Ride: 1986 911 turbo

I lost my job last year so to make myself feel better, I bought this 1986 turbo. It's got a black exterior and interior with BBS wheels. I picked it up off of this board. BTW, I did end up getting another job so my retirement only lasted 2 months.

1986 911 Turbo (930) for sale

The car was located in Denver. I had a buddy who lives there check it out and drive it for me. His one comment was that this car was a "rocketship". Once he gave a thumbs up, I flew out and bought it. I had it shipped back to PA as I had to fly out on some business in Asia. The shipper only took 3 days to get it to my door. I got back from China on Wed and the car arrived on Thurs.

It's got 115K miles and has Recaro seats. The interior is very clean and the body itself is in good shape. The passenger side rear fender has a kink in it because of a backing up bump from the PO. The worst part of the paint is a bunch of chips in the front bumper and hood, and the windshield has a lot of chips in nicks.

The engine runs real good but does seem to diesel after being run for a long period. The AC works good. The only thing not operational at this time is the rear window wiper.

I have some questions:
1) What is a good shop manual for the turbo?

2) I get about 14-17mpg. It doesnt' worry me about the mpg because the spg (Smiles per gallon) is off the chart. Does this mpg look in line?

3) The PO said the engine was set up for the high altitude of Denver. It now resides only a couple of hundred feet above sea level. Should I have it tuned for low atlitudes?

4) What type of exhaust is on the car? I was told it isn't stock.

5) How do I tell if the turbo has been replaced? What markings should I look for?

6) I like the BBS wheels but would rather have black fuchs. What are these BBS worth and what are the equivalent Fuchs worth? Anybody wanna trade?

Thanks,
Spoke

Old 06-12-2009, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)