Thread: knock sensor
View Single Post
3 restos WIP = psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJL View Post
I have an acquaintance here who has installed, tuned and runs a knock sensor on his supercharged 911 race car. I have seen his dyno logs and the overlayed knock sensor readings. It definately worked for him. That car is actively campaigned and races regularly with no engine problems and more than acceptable power. Check www.supercharged911.com

His knock sensor is tapped into the case underneath the crankcase breather cover. I count at least 3 mounting surfaces between the combustion chamber and the sensor yet, sure enough it works. He is using a standard bosch sensor and a GM ECU he's hacked and remapped. I've seen where knockcounts creeped up under boost on the dyno and when timing was marginally pulled back the counts dropped off. He has reams of dyno logs and track lap logs with all the key variables correlated.

I don't know yet if my approach will work but I have tapped the heads to accept 993-style knock sensor bridges. My ECU (Adaptronic) has some highly configurable filters/amplifiers which I hope to be able to isolate a true knock count and minimize false-positives.
This post is worthless without pics! Sow us how you did it, because I'd sure love to.

- 1965 911
- 1969 911S
- 1980 911SC Targa
- 1979 930
Old 07-06-2009, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)