View Single Post

My personal opinions are that you put what ever kind of engine you want in your 914, I personally think that acceptable swaps exluding big fours (cause that is not really a swap, just drop in for the most part)would be a six of course, but I also find the 928 v8 acceptable as it is a true Porsche engine. I think that putting the 928 V8 in the 914 would not be to hard with the 901 tranny as it seems like you could cleanly clearance the firewall in front if you did it properly and that creating a solid tranny mounting structure further back would not be to difficult considering the accessability in the rear trunk. One thing that would be a must would be that the 901 tranny was in tip top shape to handle the power, which it is capable of as long as it is not abused. I might consider adding a tranny fluid cooler which also would not be very difficult and would be worth the cost for the longevity of the tranny, since heat is its main weakness. Chassis stiffining kits would be a must too.
One more thing here, I have driven one 928, it was an '86 which I belive has 288 hp. It moved that 4000 lbs. car to 60 from 0 in about 6.5 sec so I can only imagine how fast a probably 2300 lbs. 914 would be (5 sec. or less?). Any ways, any body care to compare the final costs of a basic 6 convert to the final cost of a basic 928 V8 convert. Sorry to ramble but those are my thoughts.
Old 10-31-1999, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)