View Single Post

Another 2cents worth. I personally hope you keep the collection intact if that was the deal you made. However things change. as far as most of the cars are concerned my opinion is do as little as possible until you decide, if to dispose of some. Many enthustiasts can do most of the "getting it back to being right" themselves. Spending lots of $$$ to get it there just leaves many deserving owners out of the game. You will have both types of buyers to choose from, the competent do it yourselfers and the others that will pay to get it done. Another story about a similar situation was a friend who bought a New Gullwing off the assembly line ( before assmbly in 1957),as he felt that he could do a better job of putting it together and use better materials such as paint and zink based primer for inside the tube frame etc. and not put any careless assembly marks from the power tools on the screws and bolts and general flaws from production proceedures. It sat unassembled until he passed away about 7 years ago. He wanted to wait for primer life to exceed 500 years but time got to him first. Anyway Scott Grundfor ( priemier Mercedes restorer who the original owner interveiwed about 5 years before his demise) finally recently got it done and now it must be considerded the finest gullwing anywhere. Anyway it seems to me there is no rush so hopefully you will find the right "keeper" for it, which of course, may be you. Good luck with your decision(s) and thanks for sharing a great find. Yours may be as close to new( mileage wise) as is out there. In as much as the interior and underside look to be factory fresh the rest should be easy to put as new or better.

Last edited by voitureltd; 07-12-2009 at 05:47 PM..
Old 07-12-2009, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #115 (permalink)