View Single Post
beancounter

Track dogs - which seat?

Gents...learn me on sport seats please...

Thinking of this:

Recaro Speed (fka SRD)

Or this:

Recaro Sportster CS

I sat in both of these at a local race car outfitter. The Speeds are 1/2 as much $$ as the Sportsters. $ aside, of course I tend to lean towards the Sportsters...they look really sweet. Speeds seem to be a tighter fit to my posterior, really no lateral movement at all, while the Sportsters afford a C-hair of lateral play. While the tighter fitting Speed may be a plus for track use, how would that be for a 10 hour drive home from Charlotte, NC? On the negatory side for the Speeds, the harness passthroughs are very high, a few inches above me shoulders in fact. I'm told by the retailer that this is not good. I will not be fitting harnesses initially, but it could happen somewhere down the line. The Sportster's harness holes are located perfectly in relation to my shoulders. Other tid bitz: Speeds have a provision for 5 point harness, Sportsters do not (but can be modified by upholstery shop). Sportsters have more of an angle to the seating surface, so I feel that they may provide superior thigh support.

Soooo...speak to me about pros n cons. For those that have gone aftermarket in seating, what have you learned from the experience? My car is primarily street driven, but after doing my first DE with the Turbopalooza gang at CMP, I do plan on more of that action. I was considering having my tired factory 'comfort' seats redone, but after the track experience I want to go for sport seat upgrade.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)