View Single Post
Large Member

Garage
Well... it's here - got dropped off for Project: Defibulation Sat. night. It's actually not as bad as I'd expected for a car sitting in a barn for 15+yrs - musty interior w/ some mouse poo, some paint pimpling, etc.

Took it for a burn to the gas station yesterday, boy I gotta tell ya - what a hoot the thing is to zip around in! It'd been quite some time since I'd driven a plain vanilla 911, man was I pleasantly surprised how torquey and smooth the svelt 3.0L is and loooove that smooth shifting 915 box. The intake / decel sounds are sonorous - and it's bone stock. Fun!

I def. normally don't like Targas (IMHO), just feel the back window ruins the proverbial "911" line. For some reason 'it' works on this car, something about the overall package, the stripes, the way it's so slammed - it just works. And after driving it w/ the top off - ahhh yes - I finally "get it". Still don't like the Targa lines nomrally, but at least now can appreciate them.

Story goes something to the extent of factory made (4) 930 Martini packaged cars in '77 (factory option coded stickers / interior with Fuhurmann seats), then (1) 930 & (1) Carrera 3.0 Targa (his car) for '78, then something like (2) 930s for '79. None imported to US. I've got a scanned Panorama from ~ '84 that featured this very car, but it's @ home. Had white center'd Fuchs at the time - IMO sets off the car verrrrry nicely, I'm on Ron to 'do this' heh heh. Guess PO was some attorney here in CT (wasn't FL as I thought), shop did oil change, soon ran dry, sat in another shop's storage while PO sued the oil change shop. Lost suit. Car sat, new shop got it under Mech. Lien, my buddy scored it like 18yrs. ago and recently pop'd in a used '78 3.0L and here we are.

Had me some pic fun Sat. night and yest. - I'm a dork who likes goofy pics of randomly staged cars, and I know I'd enjoy seeing wacky things like this posted here (sorry if ya don't).

*WARNING* The following can (and likely will) cause retinal damage. Feather that hair, pop in some Flock of Seagulls, bust out the wide collar, and hang on!:

Full pics here: http://picasaweb.google.com/pkrasusky/78Carrera30Martini#

I'll share more once it starts getting cleaned up.

| '07 S6 | '98 M3 vert | '01 M5 | '96 993 C2 cab | '05 S600 Sport - biturbo V12@Just Not Right 495rwhp / 612rwtq |
| '58 TR3A | '01 S8 | '95 S6 6gang | '88 M5 | '87 190E 2.3-16 |

Last edited by krasuskyp; 07-20-2009 at 10:27 AM..
Old 07-20-2009, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)