View Single Post
Monkey with a mouse

Well, I'm 35 and drive a hot rod '72 911 that makes around 270hp at wheels and is now on a serious diet on a quest for 2100 pounds.

When I sell my house (or win the lottery - whichever comes first!) I will be proud to park a TT Cayenne in the garage next to my '72.

And, FWIW, it's not really a SUV but part of the growing number of SUV/station wagon hybrids which looks like the next wave of such vehicles.

Personally, I can only think of one car builder with the history and knowledge to tackle such a task. Porsche's racing history coupled with its rally history should add up to a potent sports car that can boogie in the sand, the snow or haul a keg or three to a ranch bar-b-que. It would also be ideal to haul my almost 4 year old daughter and all her 'stuff' around town or cross country.

I do agree that many of the water-pumper guys may not be aware of the Porsche heritage, but quite a few others are quite active in the racing scene. Heck, even a 996 variant, albeit a racing one, won the GT class at Le Mans recently. And the Factory continues to provide built race cars to the privateers and offer some "help" on the side.

I know the board has a slant to the early cars, but i do find some of the stereotypical criticism here a bit harsh (although I agree with much of it too! ) And, it takes alot for me to step in and defend the water cooled Porsches!

While many may diasgree with the concept of the Cayenne, perhaps we should withhold the harshest words until we have seen and driven the beast.

Seems that every iteration of each "new" Porsche has awakened much of the strong feelings shown here . . . and some level of acceptance of the new models years later.

I guess the positive factor here is that each of us truly loves the Porsche that we drive and that strong feeling results in a "fanatic"! Let's hope the newer models and the Cayenne create more fanatics.

2 Centavos from a Porsche fanatic who loves his early hot rod and wants a TT Cayenne.

Best to all,

Kurt

http://starnes.com/
Old 06-27-2002, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)