View Single Post

Garage
Update, I love this engine.

Strong from 3K RPM (I never drive a 911 at less rpm) to 6K. Great match for the early chassis having 915 trans with 7:31 R/P.

I moved the boost from 5PSI to 8. Engine was tolerant except when heat soaked and with oil temps stabilized at 200. At these conditions it can knock WOT 5.5RPM plus.

Turned on the water injection and power increased but knock was still present. Tried additional W/A but this additional cooling (more airflow) has driven the F/A out of bounds at 13:1 plus.

For now boost is pulled back to 6PSI with W/A, there is no knock in any condition. Power is strong over baseline 5PSI without W/A.

Next step, Fueler needs modification. I found the factory setting triggers at 14PSI (for 930 TURBO) and will not adjust down. It’s out to a EE techie friend to be modified.

Keep in mind this engine does not have a modified distributor so the advance is excessive for a turbo motor and probably needs some limiting. This initial set-up has the WUR and distributor boost protected with a check valve.

Only one disapointment, KKK have the unbalance so low and the muffler is so effective there is ZERO turbo whine. That sucks!

Last edited by copbait73; 07-25-2009 at 03:53 AM..
Old 07-24-2009, 07:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)