View Single Post

1977 Porsche 930 Turbo

Hi all. I've been a long time reader. I just picked up a 1977 930. I'm going to be in it for the long haul. I always wanted a 930 and this was one that was local and after a body inspection, was solid no rust car. Rebuilt 930 trans, and an engine that was rebuilt 10 years ago. Then the car had sat for a while. It needs a good going over and is at Mtech in New Rochelle NY right now.

The car was orig. brown. It has since been painted yellow. The prior owner put a RS 3.6 tail and front spoiler. The interior is in terrible shape. I am gutting it over the next two weeks. Got most of the parts already.

Questions. How much would a repaint / bring back to orig. color? It was a chocolate brown color. Trunk bay is that color.

How can I find out how many miles the car has?

I brought the car after test driving it. It pulled like a champ. I looked under the car for oil leaks. It had some seepage. I drove it for 30 mins. Brought it to temp. Checked the 930 trans. No grind in any gear. In and out of gear very nice. Boost has a lag but every thing I read show that to be normal.

The day I brought it. Drove it home. About 40 miles. Got gas. Started right up. Went home parked it.

Next morning pulled it out of the garage and it had about two or three drops. Started right up. Drove it to New Rochelle to Mtech. Left it idling. It stalled. Then did not want to start.

We got it started. Took it for a test drive. It stalled. We got it started again and then brought it to his shop.

To me it seems to be the Fuel Accumulator. He said that he is going to check the whole fuel system, pressure and everything.

We did a full inspection and found that the started had caught fire in the past. You can see from soot in the area behind the starter.

I will be putting new tires. The ones on it are dry rot. New struts and shocks and bushings.

Engine and trans will be pulled and resealed. The Trans was just done. It seems that they replaced the syncros and did not put new gaskets. Because from driving it. It now leaves about a three inch spot of fluid on the ground, of gear oil.

I am going to do a full service, valves, spark plugs, cap, rotor, wires, fuel, oil filters.

Is there anything else I need to worry about?

Oh It has after market SS headers with heat and an upgraded K27 turbo and muffler. Should I put a intercooler in it?

It has BBS rims that have been painted yellow. Why?

I have always wanted a 930 and I am very excited.

If anyone knows any history on this car, let me know. If you recognize the car let me know.

The history I was told was that the car was re-done by the prior owner. He rebuilt the engine and parked it. He moved and left it in a garage. Years later he couldn't get it started and traded it to a shop in Nyack NY for another Porsche. He traded it for $5000.

They got it started and put some interior stuff in it and sold it to a car dealer in Middletown NY for $13500.

They ended up bringing it back for a turbo issue. Then for a Tranny rebuild. I have the receipts for that.

Now the car dealer owed another dealer lots of cash. He gave him 4 cars. One which is this one. I saw it on Criegslist and took my 1985 targa to see it.

The guy never sold a Porsche and seeing that it needed help, offered him my 85 Targa and $1000 dollars. He took it and now I have it.

Any help will be great. Anyone who has owned one of these cars let me know what to watch out for.

One more question. What is Detonation? I was driving up a mountain in third gear. I heard tapping, like a spark knock. It that it? It isn't loud. It just like what I had in my Saturn which was spark knock. I did fill the tank with 93 from Sunoco.

Robert

Last edited by occb2; 08-16-2009 at 07:21 PM..
Old 08-16-2009, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)