View Single Post
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Here are a couple more pics:

This is a cockeyed view of the cockpit. It has an updated panel for taking rides and going into controlled airspace (large airports, etc). It is a two seater as most P-51D's were.

This is a view of the top of the motor with the valve covers on but the sheet metal off. There's lots of real estate up there. When the engine is at idle, you can faintly see the arc of the prop. Even with open pipes, it's not too loud. But on take off and cruise, you will go deaf. If you damage the prop, it's $60,000 to replace.

This is a view of one bank of heads off a replacement motor. Notice how deep the combustion chamber is. It's tough to see, but the plugs come in at a 90 degree angle on opposite sides. I threw my keys in there for scale (again, 1,700 cu inches). And the heads are water cooled.

Here it is taxing out. I do not fly this by myself as I do not have enough time behind an exotic like this. It's valued at over $6 million, but we can only get $750,000 insurance. It is owned by the organization in which I am a member - The Commemorative Air Force, Dixie Wing. There is only one other war bird that does it for me (which we do not have at this wing) and that's an F4U Corsair. Now that's sex on wings....
Old 08-17-2009, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)