View Single Post
Wer bremst verliert

Supercharger carnage pics

Dramas continue...the upside is the motor itself (the parts I built) performed perfectly. The downside is the cause of my sudden loss of power, shredded belt, and inability to turn the motor over when a new belt was installed was a seized supercharger.

In hindsight it makes sense the supercharger quit. It never gave the power the manufacturer claimed which I now suspect is down to a bad lobe bearing. That would have explained the low boost and the contact with the casing.

The pics show the convex screw contacted the casing, scooping out material which then also gathered in the concave lobes. Not pretty.

The distributor thinks a straight replacement is the way to go. I am pushing for a higher-output unit. Both the 417 (1.7L per rev) and the 422 (2.2L per rev) are physically similar size and use the same intake and output manifolds so little/no changes to the rock-solid mounting system we designed. We maxed out at 11 psi at 6500rpm (13000 s/c rpm) and 316hp at the wheels. With the larger unit we should get to 15psi and 420hp at the wheels, which was my original goal.

So enjoy the carnage pics!

1978 911 3.0 Lichtbau toy "Gretchen"
1971 911 Targa S backroad toy
Old 08-24-2009, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)