View Single Post
one of the great unwashed

I have aviation cylinder head temp gauges on the turbo SC, 14mm ring sensors on the #2 and #5 cylinders. I have to look uo the temps I run when I get home...the car hasn't been driven for a year, so I forgot. They are under 300F, though. I also run water injection, a very slick system. Drops the inlet temperatures quite a bit between incoming air and entry to the mainfolds.

Also, I once melted a VW head when changing valve guides...got it too hot in the oven (back in my USAF machine shop days). There was a bad thermocouple in the oven. I estimated the head was at between 500 and 600F, and when I grabbed it from the oven, fins came off in my (asbestos gloved) hand.

I have a bunch of data posted for posterity somewhere on this board regarding this stuff. I would go out on a limb and speculate that if anyone gets a head that hot, it is the least of your problems.

Also, agree with midlife...you can never get an electric fan to perform like an engine driven fan.
Pat
Old 08-24-2009, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)