View Single Post

Sorry. I was out yesterday.

Yes, I have opened a tach along with other Porsche gauges. I doubt you will find anything visibly burned but if 400+ volts went through it that could be a possibility.

I don't know if I know how to correctly open one. You might search on this site. All I know is how I was taught. The trick is to remove the bezel without damaging it. The pro shops replace the bezel and use a special crimping tool that correctly installs the bezel. You will never be able to duplicate that. However the rubber gaskets do a good job of covering any bends or scratches.

To open a gauge, lay the gauge face down on a towel to preven the bezel face from being scratched. Then, using a small jewelers screwdriver, force it under the bezel lip and slowly rotate the gauge or slide the screwdriverr and begin to open the lip. You do this in small stages to prevent damage and be careful as if the scredriver slips your holding hand becomes an available target. Then move up to larger screwdrivers and repeat until the bezel is free and rotates. I don't widen the gap until the bezel falls of as that leaves too much work to do reinstalling it but get it far enough that I can slip it off without bending it. The bezel is very flimsy so be careful after it is removed.

To reinstall, use a flat blade scredriver to re-crimp the bezel ring as you rotate the gauge. It's difficult to impossible to get it back smooth without any kinks. I haven't done enough of them to really say I'm good at it.

Your best bet might be looking in Pano or Excellence for the companies that repair guages and talk to them before proceeding on your own.

If anyone has a better technique, sound off. I'm open to learning.

Jim
Old 08-26-2009, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)