View Single Post

Broken Head Studs

Well the job just got a lot more expensive. Me and the mechanic who's name is Mike. Started on the engine yesterday. I had got an intake off of a 930 3.3 and a stock intercooler along with the throttle body. While stripping the engine apart to do the work, Mike thought, lets do the valves while its out of the car.

He open the first set of intake valves and (5) of the head studs were broken. Just laying there. 4 came right out. The other one is stuck all the way at the end. Its moving freely but the rocker is blocking it from coming out.

The exhaust side was fine. The other side, only one was broken.

Now from everything I have seen and read....I should have had a massive oil leak. This car did not have one. Before I brought the car, I was under it. It had seepage but not soaked with oil.

The other thing is that on the test drive. Which was about an 1/2 hr long. I drove it hard, soft, and through all gears. No problems. Didn't feel any exhaust leaks. Or lost of compression.

Even the next day when I drove it down to the shop, which is about 70 miles away. Car drove strong. At idle the valves were not tapping like crazy.

Anyway. So now the engine is getting a full top end rebuilt. So needless to say the car should be great now. LOL.

I brought this car as a project car so I have no complaints. The car WILL be a great 930.

Oh I also got the full carpet kit this week. The interior is all back from the reupholster company. Man do the seats look great. I can't wait for this car to get done.

I have a question. I do have the K27. I think that due to the fact that the 3.0 was non intercooled, the head studs snapped due to the pressure of the larger turbo. What do you think.

Right now I will have the stock intercooler running. Can't really buy another one right now. But I will when the cash starts to build up again. I'm in about $10,000 in the stuff I did already so I have to wait for a while.

I will be posting pics of the engine brake down later today.

That goes to show you that people can just make up receipts. There is no way this engine was rebuilt 10 years ago and sat. One thing I did see is that some of the head bolts were already changed. Those that it was changed to seems to be the ones that are snapped. Most of them that is. At least I know who redid the transmission so I KNOW that was done. They are a friend of Mike and they said that the car did not have a LSD when they got it and that they changed all the sycros and a new clutch.

Robert

Last edited by occb2; 08-30-2009 at 07:58 AM..
Old 08-30-2009, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)