View Single Post

Garage
Homemade Whaletail

Hi everyone

I just (almost) finished my own wing

The story began like this:

I bought a Blownsix 965 IC, nice item, but does not fit under the wing, too thick

I have to tell, that my engine was allready lowered about 10mm, although lack of 20mm clearance to close engine hood...

After some other activities to lower IC like shorten Long neck and throttle body, I decided to build my own wing, what I wanted anyway someday, because I don't like the look of the big rubber piece. I only like the look on a stock 930.

However, first I had to think about the design and wich way I will make a premaster to get an idea of how it will fit and look.

I removed the rubber piece, drilled out the rivets. Then I closed the hood and moved the upper part of the base upwards, until the gap was enough to not touch the IC plus 5mm. This was a gap about 25mm at the joint face.

Then I removed the base and made a wing around using a wood plate and Styrofoam
(There will be better pics later in process)

You can imagine, that it was a lot of work to shape a wing out of some foam blocks

Unfortunatly I lost some pics of the process, so we go on after a lot of filling and sanding and painting until the masterpiece locked like this

Because I made a lot of drawings and outlines, the wing succeed as I wanted.

Now it was time to mount it and check the fitment etc... Sorry no pics

Of course I could not use it, too heavy and very fragile, some cracks are allready found.

I am not going to deep into the working processes here, if someone want some more information on any step, please ask.

930 Turbo '81 Too many modifications to list
Old 09-10-2009, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)