View Single Post

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911st View Post
The change in idle would be significant and about 300rpm.

Thus, your Vacuum-Retard function is not working. Rust indicates it is probably the pot.

You can take a piece of tubbing, install in on the nipple on the pot facing the dist.

Put the other end in you mouth, suck to create a vacuum and stick the end of the tube on your tong to seal it. If it holds a vacuum the pot is ok. If not you have a leak and need to send about $180 for a new pot.

Of course, if you have a cheap hand vacuum pump with a gage on it, that might be better.

You could also put a vacuum gage on the tube from the solenoid. Start the car. For the first about 10 sec you will see not vac. After that you will see vac when the valve opens.

The best.
911st - I put a vacuum gauge on the line it does indeed work! I was impressed.

I also hooked up my timing light and the notch is way off way center to the left, seems to confirm what you were saying my idle is at -10 no way its gonna pass a emissions test like this!

Its parked until I get that vacuum canister replaced - its to bad there is an autox this weekend but I would need to get a new battery (or make some sort of bolt down for the small one in it currently) and the rear oil line has started to leak at the junction under the passenger side hopefully I can just tighten that up and it will stop.

Charlie
Old 10-02-2009, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)