View Single Post

I have not looked into the cost of a Protomotive for years but I think they wanted something like $5k years ago.

With a thick core the top preheats the air as it passes on through thus the bottom section is not going to be as effective at removing heat. Thus, a thin core is expected to be more effective.

The total cross section of the core should be a function of how much air it can flow without undue restriction. One could use a 5" thick by 12" core for 60 sq inches of cross section if that supports there CFM goals or a 2.75" thick by 22" wide core and get 60 sq inches of core cross section instead. The 2.75" core, if all other factors are equal, should be more effective.

Also, I understand that the short run front to back makes for less pressure loss as the air cools and slows down over a longer run.

Note that both Mode and Protomotive use the widest IC design they can fit between the hinges and then probably use just a thick enough core to meet there CFM/pressure loss goals.

Efficiency I believe is taking the in/out temps of an IC and comparing them ambient. A 100% efficient IC would have the out coming air be at the ambient temp. An inter-cooler using ice for a cooling agent like some of the drag cars could be more than 100% efficient. Not totaly sure on the math.

Last edited by 911st; 10-19-2009 at 12:05 PM..
Old 10-19-2009, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)