View Single Post
one of the great unwashed

I looked at the photos in the link. The injection nozzle is about two inches from the compressor wheel. I realize the atomization process distributes a very fine mist of water droplets, they are small but have a finite mass. Maybe this is much ado about nothing regarding hitting the wheel with water.

We can get to certain condition where the air mixture becomes saturated on its way into the cylinders. I did a calculation on this once, but have no idea where the calcs are now. In my case, at 5.8 PSI boost, I only see a temperature rise of maybe 80F from ambient entering the airbox to temperature in the distribution plenum to the cylinders, and this condition only exists at the track. I believe higher boost pressures will result in a much greater temperature rise across the compressor. The point is, you can get a case where you squirt in too much water, and reach saturation.

I am glad to see this discussion, as I have felt I am one of the few people who willingly squirts water into his Porsche engine. If this is done correctly, you really don't need an airside intercooler.

Pat
Old 10-21-2009, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)