View Single Post

Send a message via Yahoo to full quack
Hey there John,
Simply looking at your pictures, it appears that at least 1 end plate looks to have been dowel pinned to the main housing. Were all the end plates & drive side plate doweled to the main housing?

The reason I ask, is that the picture showing the 1 shaft end has no heat discoloration on either the shaft or the aluminum housing. One would think that if the bearing failed it would have generated enough heat to leave a tell-tail sign.

My gut says the housing might have squirmed between the end plates, and this caused the contact and subsequent disaster.

Most superchargers run pretty tight clearances between lobes & housing, and lobe to lobe. So it does not take much misalignment to cause carnage, spinning 10k does not help either.

In most American V8 super charger applications, the super charger is way oversize (i.e. 4-71, 6-71, 8-71) and thus run at rpm's less than crank speed.

Best of luck with the manufacturer, kinda too bad that they now have the dead unit. Does not give you much in the way of bargaining power.

Mark
Old 10-22-2009, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)