View Single Post
Wo ist die Rennstrecke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 911 View Post
Thanks for the input guys...

Per 911ST - 14 psi would be a over the top - I am going to dial it down to 11psi - I want a good thermal and knock safety margin.

Turbo - looks like the K27- 7006 is a good choice. I like the idea of less back pressure and a bit more thermal safety margin. It will also deliver power up top.

Quote:

If you're going to do EFI as you indicate below, don't even screw with the K series turbos. Call some of the Garrett distributors and explain what you are doing (ATP and TIAL have techs who know older Porsches) and see what they recommend. Even with your lower displacement, the 7200 will run out of breath over 5800 rpm and feel like hitting a wall. The 7600 is not anywhere as efficient as the Garretts and the Garretts have dozens of combinations - go for a turbo designed in this century.
I am going to run a H2O intercooler system - because I want to run a ducktail and the gen 1 turbo tail. I know this is a more complicated setup than A/A, but there are a number of additional reasons I want to go this direction.

Quote:

Very cool - consider Kenikh's comments. I wouldn't push the CR to 9:1, but with 3.0L you're gonna need something to come out of the hole (nothing substitutes for displacement).
I am still struggling with cam choice - the SC cams according to the group, will work great, but am limiting the power band to 6K? My gut is telling me NO. Underboost, the less agressive cams - (compared to 964) is not an issue in the upper RPM range (5K to 6.5K) - but I am a Turbo Cave Man (TCM) - or Boosted Knuckle Dragger (BKD).

Quote:

I am not a 3.0L expert. But if I were doing this and it were for the track, I would lean towards a set of GTII cams. There is a builder in Memphis who took a 2.0L motor and built a screamer using GTII cams (Pat something....).
It seems that a fresh 930 3.0L with SC cams, opened up ports/Carerra intake, dedicated turbo header setup (short primaries), a CR bump, electronic engine management, and a more modern turbo (not too big)/intercooler setup - it would have crisp off boost performance w/sparkling boosted performance. Put this setup in a 2400 lbs chassis with a G50 or built 915...should be fun.

Quote:

Should be fun. Why did you choose a 3.0L? If I had it to do again, it would be a 3.6L TT built for 9000 rpm in a 2400lb street car. But that's me....

On the subject of 915 boxes, I have read a lot of stuff on durability, but it seems like qty 3 915s can be built for the cost of one G50? Will a 915 hold up on the track? No smokey burn outs, no drag starts - just track work - am I foolling myself?

Quote:

Have you ever driven a 915? It would be great to have a low cost 5sp solution for our cars, but low cost and solution are not synonymous when building exotic Porsche motors. For track, the only solution is the G50 ($ = ouch).
Outlaw 911
Please keep us informed - sounds like you're gonna have a lot of fun.

Last edited by DonE; 10-23-2009 at 04:14 PM..
Old 10-23-2009, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)